Wednesday 23 December 2015


8. Molly Mushroom here with yet another Ask Molly Mushroom whatever it is. I am currently perching on my desk, shovelling mince pies into my mouth and tapping my kankles along to Cliff Richard’s marvellous Mistletoe and Wine classic. However the lyrics don’t sit well with me so I have dubbed over them with the theme tune to X rated version of The Golden Girls.

I have been so busy recently that I have not had a chance to prune what with the Christmas season upon us again. Doesn’t time fly?!  Sauveur Fernandez aka Fsauveur, your portraits are incredible. I don't really feel like talking about myself right now so let's get to it. X

Dear Molly Mushroom, hello and how are you? My friend likes your work and said that maybe you could help me. I am writing to you to get some advice. I am originally from Poland and came to work in London nearly a year ago. I was lucky enough to get a job almost straight away in a restaurant and have been able to send money back to family to help them. I currently live with seven other people in a house share and although we get on quite well I don’t have much to do with them as they are always working. Basically I am homesick. I miss my family but have to stay in this country to get as much money together so that I can help them and also save for my education, from Krystyn

Hi Krystyn, I feel your pain. I was once sellotaped to a balloon by my sister, Morag, who then let go of me to see how far I would travel. She had tied a note to my leg saying, ‘Please cook this mushroom.’ I had floated over eight hundred metres until I descended and was found by a family of travelling elves who took pity on me and catapulted me back the way I came.
Now, let’s sort this problem of yours out. Krystyn, you sound like an incredible young man who wants to succeed in life and look after your nearest and dearest. I am guessing you are quite young due to what you say about studying etc so I can only have the highest respect for you and your bravery considering you moved from your home country to another. I can sense your loneliness and am so pleased you found me.

Sometimes in life we find ourselves in situations that are out of our comfort zones. It feels that you are in that situation now. New country, a big city, demanding job, responsibility of supporting your family, living with strangers. The list goes on. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. Life is not always easy and comes with its downfalls. A lot of people see these hardships as a way to make oneself stronger but sometimes you just want life to be simple and I don’t blame you. You have been in this country long enough to know how it works and how demanding London can be. I believe that due to it being this time of year you may be feeling more fragile than normal especially as you work in a restaurant serving families and friends celebrating the festivities. I am going to write a list of helpful suggestions for you and I hope they help:

1.    Write a note to your housemates and pin it on the door asking if they fancy doing something over the Christmas period making sure you give a selection of dates that you are free. I bet your bottom dollar a lot are feeling the same way as you.

2.    Find an area of London that has a high population of Polish people. Each pocket of London has its own feel which draws a certain crowd. For example, Southfields has a large population of South Africans, Tooting has a large population of Indian and Pakistani people and Streatham have a lot of Polish people. Explore!

3.    Use Skype to contact your family on a regular basis. Keep them up to date with your news and ask the same from them.

4.    Give yourself a break and take a step back to see what you have achieved so far. Check your bank balance and see how much you have saved. Think how much easier it will make your life when you have finished your studies and have the job you have dreamed of with your family close by.

5.    There is no point in making yourself completely miserable. Spend some of that money on a ticket that will get you to your family. Even if you do not manage to spend Christmas day with them arrange another time when you can recreate the day.

6.    Remember that money is fluid. The more you give out the more you get back. If you hold on to it then it becomes stagnant. Now, I’m not suggesting that you go and spend it all on a night out, but once in a while enjoy yourself and do something that you wouldn’t normally do and without feeling guilty. Memories are very important!

I do hope you have an enjoyable period of time where you can have fun with the people you live or work with. I also hope that you are able to spend some time with your family soon. You will reap the rewards to all your hardship so stick at it, best wishes, Molly X

 

Hi Molly, I am writing to you as every time Christmas approaches I start thinking about the elderly and them being lonely. I hate to think of people being by themselves over the Christmas period and miserable. What do you suggest? Thanks, Tina

Well Tina, it is mighty fine to have these concerns but nothing is going to change unless you do something about it. Bloody well get out there and start giving your time to help people who fall into the category you are concerned about. Firstly it is not just Christmas but all year round that people with need support whether it is home help or a friendly neighbour who genuinely cares about them. Some old people can go weeks without seeing anyone so I don’t think Christmas is the be all and end all. What happens when the day comes to an end when you have sacrificed an hour of your time? They go back to being lonely and you have the satisfaction of giving your time. There are many charities that support the elderly and will give you information about how you can help. Don’t wait until after the holidays, be proactive and do it now.
http://www.ageuk.org.uk/

Check out this website if in UK. If you are not from the UK google words that correspond with helping the elderly and you will be sure to find something that can point you in the right direction.

 
I want to thank everyone who has supported me and wish you all a brilliant Christmas and a very Happy New Year. Lots of love, Molly X

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment